Sunday, January 11, 2015

J. Herbin Stormy Grey Review

That right folks here it is, the elusive, lustful, engrossing, and of course sheeny  Stormy Grey. I have been captivated by various pictures and reviews of this ink since I discovered it. When I first got the ink I was very surprised at how small the bottle was, for some reason I had made it out in my head that there was going to be this huge elaborate bottle that I could barely fit on my ink shelf. When in actuality it is about the same size of a standard Waterman ink bottle. The bottle itself is almost as pretty to look as the ink is. The glass design, along with the string held in place with a wax seal bearing the numbers "1670" and the wax seal cap really make for a pretty looking bottle. Once I inked up a pen with this ink I couldn't contain my childlike joy. When I put pen to paper my initial thought was  "This is it?"  On my first few lines I barely got any gold sheen to come through and I was rather disappointed. But as I have used the ink more I have learned that this ink is a lot of things, but it is not consistent. Since the sheen is not an actual property of the ink, and instead a foreign object added to it, you will not get massive sheen on everything you write. Around 60% of writing has minor little gold flakes in it that add a nice sparkle to the writing and 40% of the time you will get that super heavy sheen that we have all already seen. When it comes to other inky attributes this ink performs flawlessly. Great flow, minor shading, no feathering, shade/bleed through is obsolete, and it is very waterproof. The best way to describe the ink is pencil lead, but that is not an exact match. To us Fountain Pen nerds we will all know better than to mistake this is a pencil, but to the untrained eye I could see someone guessing this to be pencil writing. The ink has absolutely nothing wrong with it at all, and is about as close to perfect as I have seen an ink be. I know this has a steep price of 26$ but you can always test the waters with a sample. The ink stays out of stock for a while, and is only in stock for a few weeks but I would highly suggest trying to snag a bottle when it comes back up in stock. And if I have not convinced how great this ink is yet hopefully my pictures will. Enjoy.














5 comments:

  1. Thanks very much for this review. I have a bottle on the way am most encouraged.

    Best wishes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy the ink as much as I do. Thanks for the read and the comment. :)

      Delete
    2. I love it! Glorious - I already feel like ordering another bottle just to be sure of supplies!

      Best wishes

      Delete
    3. Awesome! Buying a second bottle probably wouldn't be a bad idea. I am quite sure I am going to blow through this stuff pretty quick

      Delete
    4. Ink seems to skip a lot. It's the only ink that makes my Regatta broad nib skip. To the point that I have to twist the converter to get ink going again. However, when it works, it is beautiful.

      Delete